Friday, September 3, 2010

I'm Back!

I do apologize, for I did not mean to be MIA for so long, but such is my life. Remember my post, when I talked about working days and how normal this would make my life, and that I would be with the land of the living and probably have an extremely productive month of August - no such thing happened. I discovered this little thing called overtime, and worked at least 4 days every week in August, a couple times 5 days, and slept away the rest of the month. Oh but it was totally worth it! But I will recap you, because I'm sure you're feeling slightly lost and confused not knowing whats going on in our oh so interesting urban New York life! Get ready for the longest post ever...

End of July I went home to Florida again! Because as you know my big sister had a little baby Wyatt, and to tell you that I was homesick is an understatement. I was ready to quit my job, pack my bags, and head south and not look back. 

Look at this face. How could I not want to be there and squeeze his little cheeks. So I finally got my chance, a WHOLE entire MONTH after he was born. Totally worth the wait though. And yet, great birth control also... Totes not ready for all night feedings and diaper changes. I do that most nights anyway. I was definitely basking in my auntie duties though, of good cuddles, burping, feeding, and changing diapers. He is such a cutie. I'll share a bathtime video with you, it is not PG, I apologize. 

Ignore the goods, and just look at that face! Gotta love a baby that loves bathtime. 

This is one of my favorite pictures. Just a little cuddle time with Rod. 

After a week of visiting and cuddling, I had to come back to real life. To my month of days at work. To normalcy and not living out of a suitcase, FINALLY. I was also able to get over my homesickness, it's a lot harder to leave New York and a lot easier to leave good ol' Niceville when the hubs is not with me. I miss him. And besides he needs me, you should've seen our apartment when I got back... he needs me... 

Anywho -  I got back and started working again. I was so nervous my first day on days, it was like starting from scratch, but surprisingly everyone was very ncie, and helpful. I still can never tell if people are nice and helpful because they're just being nice and being helpful or they thing I'm stupid. Hopefully not the latter. But one of my first assignments on days was a gastroschisis baby. Usually in utero the gut grows outside of the abdominal wall and then the muscles of the abdomen develop and enclose the gut, well for whatever reason sometimes this doesn't happen and the baby is born with the gut on the outside of the body. Scary, but really cool. Well my first chance at overtime, I was to come in they day they were going to put the gut back in. I was pretty excited, I've never taken a baby to the OR or done post-op. Well lo and behold they did the surgery the day before. Man I was disappointed. Good news though, baby is doing great! After some more work days and some more overtime, I worked a nightshift as a switch. Well I come in to receive a 440 gram infant. This translates to 15oz. That's right folks, less then a pound. She was itty bitty, fit into my hand, with a head the size of a pool ball. I named her Pips, short for Pipsqueak. When I got her she was in what we like to call the honeymoon phase of her life. This did not last long, we had a long night that first night, but we made it. We bonded that night. So I came back for overtime the next night. Then worked the next two days. All with Pips. I was attached. As much as we did medically, poor Pips had too much against, and she just wasn't ready for this life, and she went to be with Jesus 5 days after she was born. I was not there, and I was sad because it was the first time she had had a different nurse between me and the night nurse. Does that make sense? I know that she is so much better off, and 100% healthy, but the reality of my job sometimes really sucks... So after a ridiculous week of working and overtime I got a facial!

Last friday I went to Elizabeth Arden Red Door Spas, and got a facial. More specific, microdermabrasion. Because this is what was better for my face. Because I have had problems with my face for like ever and ever, and after trying EVERYTHING, this was something different. When I tell you it was like heaven, it was like heaven. I could get one every week. I think that you're only supposed to get it done every 4-6 weeks, which I supposed I can wait 4 weeks to get it done again. OMG amazing!!!! I think it worked. I will definitely have to get it done again, the best results are yielded after 2-3 treatments. It was so relaxing, and just what I needed after a rough 7 days. I will be working overtime like a crazy person so that I may get another one before we come back to florida for vacation in October. Because for as much as this facial cost me, the lady ought to have been rubbing gold on my face... but totes worth it!

As for my running. I have a max of 7 miles. Woo go me! BUT I ran outside yesterday with a friend from work in Stamford, CT. It was a 6 mile loop. Holy cow. The first mile, yeah thats right people the first mile was like straight uphill, no flat running. My legs and stomach were screaming all kinds of obscenities at me, and I just kept thinking, that was only one mile, we still have 5 more to go!! Needless to say, this outside run was just short of a disaster. When we finally made it to mile 3 part of me was like whew halfway there, and the other part was !@#$% we're only halfway there!! How will I ever make it to 13.1 miles without wanting to kill myself!? My legs were dying, I was pretty sure I was going to throw up, and I just wanted to sit down on the curb and curl up and die. We had to take a few walk breaks, but finally made it home, and the good news - I didn't die! It was a very rude awakening, I have got to run outside more, so I got up this morning and just ran a short 2.5 miler through White Plains. Talk about sketchy characters at 730 in the morning. But it went much better then that 6 miles yesterday. After today, none of us will ever talk about the embarrassing 6 miler that almost kind of didn't happen. I must be more diligent. 

This was my August and beginning of September - you'll rest much easier now that you're updated. If I know one thing about myself, I am consistently inconsistent. So maybe we'll meet in October... Kidding! I'm running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure next weekend in Central Park! I'm pretty excited! I'll be sure to let you know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment