Sunday, July 31, 2011

No matter how slow you go, you are still lapping everybody on the couch

Look what showed up in the mail just in time to get me motivated to start my training for the Nashville Women's half marathon -


I will be taking this to work tonight to read during my downtime my break. I am hoping that it will give me a huge dose of inspiration and be ready to go tomorrow. I am also looking forward to all the San Francisco Marathon/half marathon race reports - those should also provide a swift kick in the butt and make me want to make my feet hit the pavement for a good run. I have kind of fallen off the bandwagon a tad in the past few weeks. I did really well right after the RC cola and moon pie 10 miler, and I had a great week during starvation week (week before K's wedding...) probably had my highest mileage week that week. And now nothing. I did work on some mile sprints, where I ran my fastest mile ever at 8:59!! Thought I was going to hack up a lung, I'm just at a loss for words and in awe of those that can keep that pace for 26.2 miles... Nuts!! And then... it got hot. And my sleeping schedule is all kinds of out of whack right now and so it is generally still 110* outside when I want to run. I want to run, not die of a heat stroke... It is so hard to get motivated when the weather channel reports temps like these -
 

The humidity doesn't help. I get that I shouldn't complain because I mean hello - look at Texas. It was 108* in Dallas the other day. No thank you. I think that my life would be so much better in a climate with highs in the 80s and lows in the 60s all year round. If you know where I can find that please let me know and I will move ASAP. Sign me up!

I think that it was a wonderful sign from God that I didn't sign up with any training groups for this half marathon. Not that I'm against running with other people, I actually think that would be just what I need, and I would love to have a buddy to keep me accountable and get me out of my PJs every once in a while but now that we're moving a million bajillion (919 miles to be exact) miles away (New York/Connecticut friends that might want to join me!?), the fact that I didn't pay to join one of these groups is a good thing. So instead of joining a group I downloaded the Runner's World Smart Coach app on my iphone. This contraption really is the best thing invented since sliced bread. 


I get my own personal coach right in my hand!! And I got to choose all my own settings, and how many miles I want to run each week, what goal I'm working toward and what my previous time has been and then it breaks it down day by day what you should be doing


Again I probably won't follow this to a "T" but I think it will be an excellent guideline and get me where I want to be. I have no huge lofty goals for this half seeing as how I have put off getting started but I would definitely like to be under 2hours 20min... eeks it is out there, for all the blog world to see! Not super impressive but hence the title of the post!  So now I have to do it. I will.. Training starts tomorrow


I'm hoping to stay with it consistently even with moving THIS WEEKEND eeks!!! I think with some minor tweaking and switching some days around, I can get it done! 

PS I'm on my 2nd cup of coffee so please excuse me excessive use of !!! and if I seem all over the place and lack any sort of direction..

No comments:

Post a Comment