Thursday, October 6, 2011

Anyone want to join a book club?

Today I'm going to write my very first book review. I read a lot. Like a lot, a lot. Like two books a week a lot. Besides running, working and sleeping, I read. I read anything and everything that sounds good or a friend recommends, and I've decided that I'm going to start sharing some of these good reads with y'all. I've always wanted to be a part of a book club, I've just never gone through the effort of finding one to be a part of. I usually just pass books between my mom and friends, and we sometimes discuss what we thought about it. It's nice in a really complicated book with a lot of characters and plot twists to have someone to talk about it with and hear their take and hear if I may have skipped over something. I love to pick my friend Mary Meg's brain after a book we've read, I think she pays more attention and is able to store more information - I'm a skimmer and have to read something several times to pick up on every detail. So if I read something that I like, I'll pass it along and y'all can let me know what you think!

Last week I was sitting in the Nashville airport with my Nook and nothing new to read, so I was perusing and decided to purchase The Scent of Rain and Lightening. I had been looking at it for a while, I liked the synopsis but didn't know anyone that had read it, and sometimes with a new book and a new author I like to know someone else has read it and liked it so I know I'm not wasting my money. Sometimes I like to just pick up a random book, and these usually tend to be some of the best reads, but as much as I hate to admit it, I also have a few books that are marked in the middle and I just could not push myself to finish. But lo and behold Barnes and Noble gave this book good reviews,  and I decided to trust them and then tell all my friends that I liked it and they should read it too. And I really did like it.

The book is about Jody Linder, a young woman whose father was murdered and mother disappeared when she was three years old, in a small town in Kansas. The whole setting of the story takes place in the town, and is about how the man suspected of the murder is being released from prison and coming home to the small Kansas town. I found the book to be kind of morbid and a little sad, and yet I couldn't put it down. Nancy Pickard, the author made it very interesting and I thought that I kind of had it figured out, and it was a little predictable and then the plot twists and turns and thickens and I was left like wait, did that really just happen? I will say that some parts are a little corny and a little predictable *cough cough* the thrown in romance, but hey, I kind of like the corny and the predictable in the middle of a murder mystery. The book was about 300 pages but it felt so short because I couldn't put it down. I just had to know who did it. There are book club questions at the end of the story, but I'm not in school anymore, and didn't want to feel the pressure of having to answer questions, so I didn't even look at them. I read for enjoyment now and not for a grade. So, go get a copy of this book, or be all technologically advanced and download it on your preferred e-reader device or just read the synopsis... and let me know what you think!


Proverbs 16:9

1 comment:

  1. I'll put it on the list! I'm devouring Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese right now- So good, takes place at a hospital in Ethiopia.

    ReplyDelete