Saturday, October 22, 2011

Book Club: OH MAN!!

OH MAN!! is the title of this post because, boy oh boy have I totally jumped in over my head. I had this great idea to write about books I've read, books I'm reading, books I want to read and I picked one, remember here,  Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese. I bought it for my Nook and had plans to finish Shadow of the Alimighty: The Life and Testament of Jim Elliot by Elisabeth Elliot and then start Cutting for Stone. Then this happened:


This is a photo-graphical representation of my self diagnosed ADHD at it's worst. Hello, my name is Holly, I have a problem, and my credit card is tired. Barnes and Noble and Amazon need to be paying me at this point. I ordered Shadow of the Almighty, I'm almost done, and a review will follow shortly, or such is the plan in my head. After I finished this I had plans to start  Cutting for Stone with y'all and we could talk about what we liked and didn't like, character development, etc. All the things the I-kind-of-wanted-to-major-in-english-but-didn't-want-to-be-a-teacher-so-I-became-a-blogging nurse-self would love to talk about. Then a friend at work was reading Little Bee and I had been looking at it for a while and the back says:

"This is the story of two women. Their lives collide one fateful day, and one of them has to make a terrible choice, the kind of choice we hope you never have to face. Two years later, they meet again - their story starts there..."

That's all. It sucked me it. So of course when I saw it at the Dallas airport I had to get it. I have to know what happens "that fateful day" that they have to make a "terrible choice". My thoughts went something like - this book sounds amazing, I'll knock it out in like two days, then start Cutting for Stone, knock that one out in another couple of days. Write up a few review, and pick the next book! THEN I found this amazing YouTube video about Katie Davis and her new book Kisses for Katie. It is about how right after high school she moves to Uganda to teach kindergarten, adopts 13 children and has since started a non profit that feeds and sends hundreds of children to school. She's 21 years old. I need your heart, I pray to God for a givers missionary heart like this, I must read this. So I ordered it when I ordered our new Bible study book, To Live is Christ by Beth Moore, which I am beyond excited about - getting to know some wonderful Godly women and study the word of God with them. Yes please. While in Dallas my Run Faster and Advanced Marathoning came in the mail - I have to read these too - I need the perfect training plan (if there ever was such a thing) to meet my goals for the Seaside Half Marathon in March and I only have a few weeks left to nail it down, so lo and behold I've been perusing these as well and trying to come up with a plan I can 100% commit to, because we all know that I don't have the best training track record (no pun intended). Thus the stack above... and all of this and I'm working eight out of nine days (hello overtime - what what!?) and I have become slightly narcoleptic in the process and can't keep my eyes open for five minutes once I start reading and stare at the same paragraph the entire time and yet could not repeat to you what I just read. Yet here I am at 4am writing about books, hello night shift, welcome to my lift.

So I have all these really cool books that I want to read and share with you, and hear your opinions too! My mind is telling me to pick one! Put the others away and just read one! My thoughts about all of these is this - I will stick to the original plan - I will finish Shadow of the Almighty, then I will start Cutting for Stone. After that I will read Little Bee, then Kisses for Katie. So essentially, in the order that they were purchased, they will be read. You heard it here first folks! Oh yeah and Nicholas Sparks has a new book too, The Best of Me. I know, you either like him, or you don't. But I do. I love a good romance novel, and everyone needs a good cry every now and again, it keeps you well rounded and he never fails to disappoint in providing this. Oh yeah, and a cupcake, and a good cup of coffee. A good cry, a cupcake, and coffee = well rounded person. (I know, Holly for president - cupcakes and coffee for all! And a good cry every friday! World peace!) I mean, you can also throw a great Nora Roberts book my way any day.. a happy every after romance novel, sign me up. 

Okay, you've seen my list. Pick one, any of them really, or none of them, and read it and I pinky promise that we will get to it! Let me know what you're reading, if it's something different I'll add it to the obviously neverending list! But I won't buy it just yet, until I've read the ones I have, but I will write it down. (<-- Hubs you saw it here!)

On a side note - can we talk about how my mom and dad are staying here this weekend - with this view
not going to lie - kind of makes me real real homesick... I could get a ton of reading done with this view!

Happy reading y'all!

Proverbs 16:9


1 comment:

  1. Aw, Holly! As always, love your posts!!! I LOVE "a good cry, a cupcake, and coffee = well rounded person"!!! I'm reading "Grace for the Good Girl" by Emily Freeman. It's really good... :) Love you!

    ReplyDelete