Monday, November 7, 2011

Turkey Trot 2011


Yes, yes I am still running. I kind of took a hiatus after the WMC quarter marathon except for a handful of treadmill sessions BUT all the ING NYC Marathon talk this weekend around the bloggy blog world made me just the teensiest bit jealous. Not that I'm in any kind of shape, way or form ready to run have run a marathon yesterday, but all the excitement made me excited for all the people running and kind of wishing that I was running too. And besides I'm itching for a new t-shirt... So I searched around active.com for any Thanksgiving day Turkey Trots that I could sign up for and I found this five mile turkey trot in Rockland County. It's just a short jaunt across the Tappan Zee and I'm there. It's also raising money for childhood cancer at the local hospital where I work and I have Thanksgiving off, so it's a win/win. I'm not sure how I feel about running just five miles, but that is usually my everyday distance around the neighborhood, so I at least know I'm comfortable running this distance. I'm sure it'll be freezing cold, so I'll need to figure out something super super warm to wear seeing as how I have uber thin blood. Any suggestions? 50* outside and I'm whining like a two year old, and last year standing outside for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade in like 30* weather, you'd think I'd be smart enough to know just how cold it is at 7am on Thanksgiving morning. I guess it'll be a good thing that I'll more than likely be traveling solo to this race as the hubs might be working - I'll have absolutely no one to complain and cry to asking why I was so stupid as to sign up to run outside in November in New York! I'll just have to make friends with someone to put up with my toddler antics. I guess as long as we don't have a freak snow storm AGAIN and get a foot of snow from a nice little "wintry mix" than I should be able to suck it up.. Ridiculous.

I'm not really worried about time, as usual I aim to finish BUT I am hoping to see some improvement, as I've actually started incorporating "speed" work into my running.. and when I say speed work I mean faster than usual... like five whole minutes at a 9:30 pace... I'm not sure how you remember the story but the turtle always wins in the tortoise and the hare anyway! So I'm happy to be representing turtles everywhere!

*Speaking of stories... For my handful of "book club" peeps I promise I have actually been reading... but none of what I said I was going to... go figure - I promise to post this week!!!*


Proverbs 16:9

No comments:

Post a Comment