Thursday, January 19, 2012

I'm leaving the country!!

Remember the other day when I said stick around because I had big news but first I had to tell my dad.. Not ask just tell.. because I am almost a quarter century old and I've been married and haven't lived at home for almost three years and I am still the baby... but any who... I am going to Uganda!!!


Later this year I am going with Children of the Nations on a medical mission trip!! After a lot of praying, logistic deciding, and overcoming every fear I could muster up, I finally filled out my application on Monday night! I am SO excited!! The people that I've spoken with at COTN have been nothing but supportive and have answered all my questions and then some and everything about this trip just fell into perfect place. I think God is pretty cool like that. What I loved about COTN is that they're all about raising children for "transforming nations" - caring for orphans in a Christ - centered environment to better them for their country so they can grow up and become leaders of Uganda, Sierra Leone, Malawi, Haiti, the Dominican Republic and make their country better for future generations. Now I am oh so unprepared for something like this - I have never ever been out of the country! Much less leave the country and share what I know about my relationship with Jesus, and what I know about nursing... or what I don't know about nursing.. I have to get a passport! Among so many other things! But I'm going with God doesn't call the equipped, He equips the called. I trust Him, and that by the time I get there, He'll be doing all the work through me. I've been scared out of my mind to ever do something so drastic, and then I read the book Radical by David Platt and it was just the kick in the pants that I needed! And got some much needed encouragement from the hubs, my friends, my people at work, the family...

Religion that God our father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world - James 1:27


I am nervous and excited and I want to leave tomorrow but I'm sure I'll eventually have a mental breakdown and need someone to bring me off the cliff I'm sure to walk toward but how exciting to go and share what I know about nursing and be able to give care to those that don't have access to the healthcare that we do here in the states. And to go with people that love what they do and surely know more than I do. I am so excited for this experience and to share with y'all what I see and most importantly what I learn! What I learn about myself, what I learn about my Jesus, and what the people of Uganda can teach me and what the team I'm going with can teach me. The things that are making me most nervous are where in the world where I sleep!? Do I get to wear make up? Are there snakes in Uganda!?!?! and most importantly where in the world can I go to the bathroom!?!?! I am not your average roughing it kind of girl.. I mean I can most certainly go days without a shower and brushing my hair.. but I am way too used to indoor plumbing and get beyond cranky with cold showers (just ask the hubs). This will be such an adventure and exciting thing for all of us!! Yayy!!!! So please start praying for me now! That I am not a procrastinator and that planning goes smoothly, that I'm able to get my passport without a hitch and that my family supports me in this and God provides financially etc etc etc the list goes on - Basically please just pray for me as I prepare myself over the next several months to go to another country and that I can be a blessing to others in ways that I can only imagine they will be a blessing to me!

"Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "whom shall I send, who shall go for us?" And I said, "Here I am, send me." Isaiah 6:8

3 comments:

  1. Holly!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh, I am so thrilled and EXCITED to hear this news!!!!!!!! Our God came through!!!! Proud of you for your willingness to step out of your comfort zone and to be faithful to what God is calling you to do.
    I need to read Radical... Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an incredible opportunity! Please email me and let me kow how I can specifically pray for your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! That's so exciting!!!!!!!!! Seriously. What a great ministry! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete