Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Tuesday Tangents

Today, the puppy and I were extremely lazy.. Like everything else - I blame the night shift schedule.. I slept until 4:30pm Monday.. talk about a labor day.. then I slept from 1am-5:30am and then napped from 1pm - 4pm... Maybe tonight I'll sleep a real good 8 hours! We'll keep our fingers crossed!

For today.. I'm borrowing from this girl because I thought I'd share some randoms with you! And I needed something semi-interesting to name my post...

Tangent: adj; almost irrelevant <-- like most posts around here... 
(definition found from the World English dictionary on dictionary.com)

So...

1. I joined a new gym... I am a gym slut.. I was a member at LA Fitness and I really did like it there and it helped that it was super cheap compared to all the other gyms in our area.. But you see I love classes - I love spinning, I love the total body fitness classes... I don't like step (I so cannot coordinate my arms and feet to do things at the same time) and I don't like zumba (white girl so doesn't have moves) BUT most other classes I really enjoy and feel like I get more out of it then if I try to do weights myself.. But the fun at LA Fitness didn't last... so I joined New York Sports Club which is pretty fancy.. and I joined for the classes! And it's not too terrible when you have the membership at one gym instead of access to all their gyms. Anywho, I'm only a few weeks in, but I am loving it! And it almost seems like more of a community - which is the type of gym that I was looking for! A majority of the people that you see, you see every week in the same class and I like that! Except today the air wasn't working... I did a total body class and spinning in humid rooms with no air.. not exactly my idea of a good time - but maybe I burned off the ice cream I had for dessert last night the cookies that I'm having tonight.. OR the Asiago bagel I had for breakfast.. Have I mentioned I LOVE food!?

2. I have bought a lot of stuff for my trip.. like a lot. Mainly because when I tell you that I live in scrubs and nike tempos/tshirts - it is no lie... People are always like oh did you just work out? And I'm like no... this is literally my wardrobe. The hubs clothes take up about 70% of our closet and then clothes I wear to church and the occasional dinner that I can't wear a t shirt to are what the rest of my wardrobe consists of... which isn't much.. and its so not culturally sensitive.. But my favorite thing so far is not the clothes that I've had to buy BUT a notebook that I ordered from Minted to journal in while I'm there! I don't necessarily consider myself a journaler/writer.. but I do keep this little blog thing on my little corner of the inter webs... so I guess I kind of think of this as a journal.


I was able to customize it with my name on the front and my favorite picture of the hubs and I at the moment with one of my favorite verses right now! I do wish that it could have been purple because that is my favorite color BUT I think it turned out really nice with the brown and blues and greens! The verse that I have on the inside cover is 1 Corinthians 13: 1-7 in The Message translation -

If I speak with human eloquence and angelic ecstasy but don't love, I'm nothing but the creaking of a rusty gate. If I speak God's work with power, revealing all his mysteries and making everything plain as day, and if I have faith that says to a mountain, "Jump," and it jumps, but I don't love, I'm nothing. If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don't love, I've gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I'm bankrupt without love. 

3. The puppy and I started puppy classes at PetSmart last week. We will go through six weeks of rigorous training... learning the basics... our biggest issues are leash walking (which is completely our fault) because we never ever put him on a leash for walks, we run around the back yard and go to the dog park.. never needing a leash. BUT I need a running buddy and he happens to be the most convenient partner for me... he's awake when I am and he sleeps when I sleep - its a win/win for everyone! we're also working on our fear of people.. yes that's right - if you've had the pleasure of meeting our ridiculous mutt then you know that he is not the big golden retriever type that is going to sit down and lick you and let you love on him... he's going to bark and bark and bark and oh yeah bark some more because for some reason people besides our family (that he rarely sees but they still don't phase him..) - people besides our family seems to make him very skiddish... our first night of puppy school was spent shaking with our ears back and tail between our legs refusing any treat offered to him... Ridiculous. We'll try try again this week!

4. In an effort to blog more often and because I really like the idea of sharing what I'm thankful for - I have big plans (don't the best laid plans always go awry..) to link with Mandie Joy.. I found her blog by perusing a bunch of other blogs.. then I spent most of yesterday and this morning reading through her archives because um hello talk about inspiring story - she moved to Uganda to be a nurse and train other Ugandan nurses in a new hospital which led to her living there for well over a year being a transition mommy to little babies waiting for their forever family. I laughed, I cried.. I wondered if I could pack my bags and the hubs could follow me over there... Amazing. Check it out yourself. But she has posts called Capture Gratitude - where she shares any myriad of things she is thankful for that week... In an effort to be more grateful for what I have in this life and not want for silly things (even though sometimes I am seriously ecstatic over a great cup of coffee..) I'd like to join her... and I would love for you all to join me!! Via a comment or your own blog post!
(I obviously have no original ideas.. but thanks to these other awesome blogs for allowing link ups and sharing their awesome ideas with my boring tired brain!)

And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him. ~Colossians 3:17

I do plan to share some more fun little things that I've gotten for my trip! Also any tips/tidbits you all may have about traveling overseas in general are so welcome! Seeing as how this will be my first time out of the country... I think that there will be a neon green sign above my head that is blinking TOURIST!!!! So anything you can tell me to make that sign a little smaller and maybe not so bright.. 

4 comments:

  1. My dogs need classes!!! I hate looking like a tourist. The white skin and blue eyes never help, but I always just try to be SUPER observant. And quiet. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man.. your captchas are hard! It took me like 6 tries! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I know! I've tried to comment on MY OWN BLOG like a million times and half the time I give up because it's SO hard!! I will let you know how the pet smart classes go!

      Delete
  3. I always journaled when I took mission trips. I still have them in a box, somewhere! Would be interesting to read them now, 15+ years later...

    ReplyDelete