Monday, June 24, 2013

Our God is so big..

So strong and so mighty... I do love that song from when I was little... After an amazing day on the Nile and delicious dinner and a fabulous night's sleep we were up at the crack of dawn for what may have been the coolest experience of my entire life to this day (my wedding day was pretty cool BUT to go back and share this with my other half I think is so going to top even that day!).

Before I share the pictures with you - I have to tell you that if you ever question the greatness of our God, I highly suggest you wake up and watch the sunrise.. in Africa if at all possible... 




I kept having to pinch myself and be like holy cow I am in Africa! I am on a morning safari ride in Africa! It was surreal... We were all completely silenced by the beauty of it all.. For being such a war torn country - Uganda is absolutely, breath-takingly beautiful. 

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3:22-23

I love the little glimpses God gives us of his majesty. A little peak of the glory of what's to come!

And if the sunset couldn't have been more beautiful... we saw SO many animals!!


The beginning of TONS of giraffes!




Cape buffalo or water buffalo or a cape water buffalo? I can't remember BUT I do remember that they have great memories...




herd of elephants!!!


We knew we weren't going to be seeing a cat that morning because this carcass was fresh and cats only hunt every 2-3 days...



Me, Dr. Caroline and Michelle


 The Nile! AND right over the mountains was the Congo.


We saw as many giraffes as 17 in a herd...


setting up breakfast on the Nile for the royal family - it is a available to all for a price... 


The state bird.. country bird? The grey-crowned crane... They mate for life. So cute

It was an indescribable experience that I wish I could share with everyone I know. The perfect end to a perfect trip. The ride lasted about 3 hours and then we rushed back to the hotel for a quick breakfast (which was amazing!) before our long ride to Kampala... Um disclaimer.. we were in a bus, with no A/C, it was about 100 degrees outside... I was sweating like crazy, our driver didn't speak English (Jimmy was driving the other bus.. with A/C...) and we did not ever stop for lunch...  we were out of snacks and out of water... Um talk about a quick turn around to spoiled American... 


I sent this to my bus- mates via Facebook after we had all made it home... 

We did make it back to Kampala in time to stop by the cutest little market - I mean think a church craft fair.. but in Africa - tons of wood carvings and beaded jewelry and homemade goodies! A little more overpriced than in Lira, but still totally worth it!

We made it to the airport in the nick of time and of course Jimmy knew one of the guards at the entrance - his "cousin"... Musevini was in town so security was super tight. It was sad to say good bye to Jimmy - but it was not good bye - we knew it was "see you later". 

I cannot wait to go back and see the staff and children at COTN - my good friend Ellie put it so beautifully - there seems to be a smaller space between heaven and earth in Uganda and it's totally worth leaving the comforts of America behind... I can't wait to go back to the country and people that stole a piece of my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment