Tuesday, July 23, 2013

What is a burpee?

I get this question ALL. THE. TIME. when I'm talking about crossfit.. and I have such a hard time explaining it without actually doing it. But it's not always appropriate to just bust out a burpee... It's not a noise that comes out of your mouth after you've had too much to drink... 

By definition: 

"it refers to an exercise combining a squat with a push-up, two of the most effective body weight movements out there. Pair them together, and you have an overall strength builder guaranteed to leave you out of breath in seconds." - washington post

"The burpee is the ultimate full body exercise...With each repetition, you’ll work your chest, arms, front deltoids, thighs, hamstrings, and abs. Trust me. Your legs will feel like they’re pumping battery acid after you complete a set of burpees... The burpee is a ridiculously simple, full body exercise that will leave you gassed after doing only a few." - art of manliness



And then... some funnies..




And a little "how to"...


  1. Begin in a standing position.
  2. Drop into a squat position with your hands on the ground. (count 1)
  3. Kick your feet back, while simultaneously lowering yourself into the bottom portion of a pushup. Your arms will not be extended. (count 2)
  4. Immediately return your feet to the squat position, while simultaneously pushing "up" with your arms. You will perform a pushup as you return your feet to the squat position (count 3)
  5. Jump up from the squat position and clap overhead. Feet must leave the floor. - wikipedia
Initially I absolutely hated doing burpsees - hated them! But after about eight months I have figured out how to breathe and pace myself during them and I'm not so afraid of them anymore... I actually kind of like them.. a little bit... But don't start spreading that around! 

1 comment:

  1. Burpees are probably my fave. Probably because there is very little skill involved!! You've been CrossFitting for 8 months? That makes me feel a little better. You're so good!!! Haha. I was struggling with my power cleans tonight!

    ReplyDelete